Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Earthquake that hit Hawaii on Sunday, October 15, 2006

Dear Friends,

I am overwhelmed by everyone’s concerns regarding the earthquake that hit the Hawaiian Islands on Sunday, October 15th. My wife, Lori, and I have been inundated with phone calls and e-mails from around the world. It's very heart warming. Your thoughtfulness is very appreciated.

I am currently on the mainland. I just did a big fund raiser on Saturday evening for a wonderful organization called “Just For Kids.”

Lori called me Sunday morning after the quake hit. It was her first earthquake and she doesn't want to go through another one. I was in two different earthquakes in California a few years ago.

Thankfully everyone and everything is fine. Lori was a little shook up (no pun intended). We lost power at the house and a few things fell off the shelves and walls but other than that, no major damage. We called friends on the Big Island (which is closer to the epicenter) and fortunately they are fine, too.

I guess this was scarier than damaging. My concern was that this could have trigger a tsunami but all reports are that it shouldn't happen.

Here is a report and a few thoughts from Lori:

The news media makes it sound worse than what it is. And since all news comes out of Honolulu, Oahu, they act like they had the major brunt of the quake when in reality we on Maui are closer to the Big Island (i.e. Hawaii) where the epicenter was. Our friends on the Big Island are fine other than being shaken up (still no pun intended). Fortunately there were no casualties and damage was minimal. Any evacuations are merely precautionary.

A reference to the epicenter to Maui would be like the distance from Chicago to Detroit. I was in the bathroom getting ready for church when the entire condo started shaking violently. It sounded and felt like a freight train coming thru the wall. I could hear knickknacks falling off the walls and shelves. My cupboards held up well so no broken dishes or what not. Being a midwest girl and observing windy and overcast weather, my initial thought was tornado and thus ducked down in the bathtub all the while thinking the upstairs condo was going to crash in on me.

In a minute or two it ended. I ran outside and asked my neighbors, "What the HELL was that?!" "That--" they declared, "was an earthquake!" We were without power for about 4 hours. We learned that the quake was 6.6 and the epicenter located approx 6 miles south of the Big Island (Hawai'i). Thankfully, I did not feel the 2-3 aftershocks that followed. Everyone's main concern was tsunami but radio reports quickly assured us there was no threat of one.

Oh and if anyone viewed the AOL news pictures -- that chicken stand in Kihei (here on the South shore of Maui about 30 minutes from us) with all the people lined up -- had nothing to do with the earthquake but everything to do with just being good grinds. (That’s local talk for good food.)

News people!!?$!!

Hope that was the first and last quake I'll ever experience. Thanks for caring.


Well that’s the update from Lori who was there. I’m here on the mainland for two more shows before I return home on October 25th.

The phone is ringing with shows being booked for 2007. I still have a couple dates open for your company holiday parties. Call me if I can help you. You probably know my number by heart now, 1-800-tricky1 (1-800-874-2591).

Mahalo for you caring,

Al The Only
www.tricky1.com


PS I'm not just selling entertainment, I provide wonderful memories of your party for your guests!

My 26th year, full time, of providing magic for corporate meetings, trade shows, banquets and conventions - worldwide. Over a quarter century of adding laughter and amazement to people's lives and making memories.

PPS It’s still not too late to call Al The Only for your entertainment of magic, comedy and good clean fun at your Holiday or Christmas Party.

For more information, dates and availability call today:
1-800-tricky1 (1-800-874-2591)


Al The Only blogs
http://altheonly.blogspot.com

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aloha,
Good to hear dakine ! all safe ya!.......

All the shaking just letting us know who rules!

Just to let you know that a good friend and I just closed on two, three acre parcels on the Big Island. (Kurtistown) and to let you know that the ferns, Ohia trees, and centipedes are all fine and doing well. We'll build there in about two years time or less.

At thirteen hundred feet the tsunami doesn't worry and unless Pele changes directions, all will be good to soft retire there soon. Mahalo

Rick

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Al,

Must be nice to have a fun job like yours AND to live in Hawaii.

I need to know your secret...I work for a recycling/trash company and I live in Arlington...woo hoo!

Glad to hear everybody is OK.

Scarlett

9:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home